Home Based Businesses (HBBs) are an important contributor to Army Family quality of life – new changes to procedures makes it easier and quicker gain approval to operate an on-post HBB.
You must obtain approval from the garrison commander or senior commander.
Get approved now!
• If you operate an HBB on post and aren’t yet approved, now’s the time to get official.
• We’ve recently streamlined processes, so you can get approved within 60 days.
• Moving your HBB from another installation? If you were approved there, the process is even easier!
• Official on-post offerings from AAFES, the Commissary and MWR no longer consider HBBs competition, and you don’t have to gain their approval.
• Operating an HBB from your quarters without approval can violate policy and get you in trouble.
Don’t delay. Get your Home Based Business registered today by contacting your local DFMWR, Business and Non Profit Liaison at, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website at https://hawaii.armymwr.com/
HBBs allow Families to work from their Army quarters, developing rewarding careers that follow them through PCS moves. Contact DFMWR to complete the application process, which includes obtaining permission, licenses (if applicable), and liability insurance. HBBs operated by Army Families includes:
• Arts and Crafts
• Pet grooming and pet sitting (Must comply with USAG-HI-13, Animal Control Policy and Housing Guidance)
• Massage therapy
• Retail sales from home
Not everyone who works from home operates an HBBs. If you work remotely from your home (off-post), you probably don’t need approval. Other examples of businesses that don’t need approval are:
• Bookkeeping and tax preparation
• Personal training conducted outside the home (One on One service/ Not authorized to use USAG-HI facilities or fields)
• Photography, graphic design, and advertising services
• Tutoring and music instruction
• Entertainment or travel planning
• Housecleaning and lawn care
• Selling items from multi-level marketing (MLM) companies (Attending events must register)
Home Based Business approval is quick and easy!
The Army’s new standardized HBB application template streamlines the approval process. Of course, installations are still required to adhere to local and state laws and regulations regarding home business operations, so check into those, too.
Here’s the process:
Step 1: Obtain the HBB Application.
Visit the Garrison DFMWR https://hawaii.armymwr.com/ to download your HBB application, complete all prerequisite requirements on the checklist, (See, USAG-HI, HBB-48 Policy), and any additional forms.
Step 2: Complete the Application and Packet.
• This includes obtaining approval from your community housing manager.
• A copy of your Hawaii State General Excise Tax (GETax) License (required by the State of Hawaii). The Business Action Center, (808) 586-2545, is located at 1130 N. Nimitz Hwy or on the web at www.hawaii.gove/BixEx/home.eb.
• Insurance License Number (if applicable)
• Business Registration are filed with the State of Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA) visit, https://cca.hawaii.gov/breg/
• Business Information (catalogs, brochures, website link, etc.)
Step 3: Turn in a complete and compliant HBB Packet.
Once you’ve completed your paperwork, make an appointment to drop off complete application packet at the DFMWR office, located at 350 Eastman Road, Bldg 547, Wheeler Army Airfield (WAAF), Schofield Barracks, HI, 96857-5019 or email at email@example.com
Within 60 days, you should get notification of approval. Simple!