School Support Services

Hours of Operation

Monday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed


241 Hewitt Street
Bldg. 1283
Google Map


Military DSN Tel:

Write an ICE comment


School Support Services (SSS) provides Army school-aged youth with educational opportunities, resources and information necessary to achieve academic success. A branch of Child, Youth Services (CYS), SSS is home to the School Liaison Office, where School Liaison Officers (SLOs) help deliver the best educational resources and information for your children.

We specialize in education transitions, and make sure incoming and exiting families have information about local schools, graduation requirements, after-school services/programs, youth sponsorship programs and home schooling. We also help parents better understand the education process, school organization and interaction strategies.



How SLO's Can Help
  • Build relationships and facilitate communication among Army Families and the local school community 
  • Inform and assist parents with school transitions and deployment challenges
  • Establish school and community partnerships
  • Facilitate access to home school resources for parents
  • Provide information about college and other post-secondary opportunities and preparation materials
  • Inform and assist parents on youth education and school issues

The State of Hawaii Department of Education (DOE) administers 289 public schools -256 regular, 2 special, 31 charter-plus 11 adult education schools on 7 islands. Most of the military children that attend public school in the state are part of the Central Oahu District which is made up of 6 complexes: Aiea, Moanalua, Radford, Leilehua, Mililani, and Waialua.

Youth Sponsorship

Sponsors for your middle school or high school teens are available either through the youth program or school. 

Army Youth Sponsorship Program

The Youth Sponsorship Club can help your teen learn about their new community and make new friends. Getting involved quickly helps children and teens fit in and feel less stress associated with their PCS move. All it takes to join the club is a visit to the school age or youth center or contact the School Liaison Officer.

Youth Sponsorship Registration

Contact your School Liaison Officer (SLO) to request a sponsor.  You can download and use the Youth Sponsorship Request form below to help your SLO pair your child with a compatible sponsor.


youthsponosr pic.jpg

Special Education Information

If you have a child with special needs, we can help you find information about the resources available in your school district. We can also help you connect with your local installation’s Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) office. The EFMP is a mandatory enrollment program that works with other military and civilian agencies to provide comprehensive, coordinated, community support in areas such as housing, medical, educational and personal services to Families with special needs.


For information or assistance with your child's IEP, 504 or other special needs issues, please contact the Exceptional Family Member Program at (808) 655-4227. Please also visit their website at

References and Resources for Special Education

Highly mobile children are entitled to an expedited process, including: a). evaluations in 30 days instead of 60 days, b) removed delays due to school district schedules for families moving during incomplete screenings, c) continued Extended School Year for students moving in the summer.

The Center for Parent Information and Resources offers education, acronyms, tools, webinars and a directory of local Parent and Information Training Centers to help parents advocate for their children. The center focuses on proactive support and personal accountability. 

Military OneSource has a range of resources to help with caring for a family member with special needs including education, health care, legal, financial points of contact, EFMP, School Liaisons, etc.

Military Community & Family Policy Office of Special Needs provides a directory of age-specific resources and States-at-a-Glance for localized special education resources and information.

Free Army sponsored online training for educators and parents on a host of special education topics at

DirectSTEP course listing 

DirectSTEP registration


Education Directory for Children with Special Needs

Home School

Home Schooling has become mainstream and widely-used. We offer resources and information to help you provide quality home-based education.

Home School Legal Defense Association provides information on home school law, and general support and information about homeschooling.

Home School Support provides educational information and answers home school questions. Child & Youth Services Homework Centers and Technology Labs are available to home school youth by appointment. Families may start homeschooling once they complete Form 4140 at the school their child should attend. There are two charter schools in Hawaii that are an available option for homeschooling families.

CYS Services SLO's also manage an email distribution list for homeschooler's to keep parents in the know about upcoming events, state administered test and more.

Youth Sports and Fitness Home School PE Program offers children and youth ages 5 and older PE sessions $25 per quarter.

  • Tuesdays at AMR from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
  • Thursdays at Schofield Barracks from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

To register, call +1 (808)833-5393 for AMR, Tripler, Fort Shafter and Camp Smith.

Call +1 (808)655-5314 for Schofield Barracks, HMR, and Wheeler Army Air Field

For questions, call +1(808)655-6465 or +1(808)836-1923

Transition Support

We understand that military transitions for children include much more than school plans and enrollment. We have a number of resources to help make your move as easy as possible for the kids, including:

Military Kids Connect provides online age-appropriate resources to help parents, teachers and children cope with the unique challenges of military life.

The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (MIC3) addresses key transition issues military Families experience, including enrollment, placement, attendance, eligibility and graduation. All fifty states have signed the compact and are in varying stages of implementation and/or compliance. The compact applies to children of Active Duty service members, National Guard and Reserve members on active duty orders and members or veterans who are medically discharged or retired within past year. Read more. 

School Transition Information: School Liaison Officers are located on each installation to assist military Families with school transition and other education-related issues.  Go to Army OneSource for more information.

Military Youth on the Move the Department of Defense designed Military Youth on the Move as one-stop shop for parents and students with moves and deployment.

Academic and Behavioral Support

We can help you find information and resources for academic and behavioral support, including: for U.S. Military Families makes live tutors available online 24/7 to help with more than forty core subjects and standardized test preparation.  

Homework Support: Army Child & Youth Services provides homework labs in before/after school programs for elementary students at the School Age Center, and for middle and high school students at the Youth Center. 

Support/Resilience Programs:  School Support Services include information about other programs you can use for support and resilience-related issues.

Military Family Life Counselors (MFLCs) are available to meet in-person on or off the military installation. The free non-medical sessions are anonymous and may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings. Child Behavioral Specialists are located on the installation in Child & Youth Services programs, and in highly-impacted schools located on and off the installation.

Military OneSource has access to free non-medical counseling that’s anonymous and available online, by phone or in person. Twelve free sessions may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings.

Real Warriors is a multimedia behavioral health support center with tips for helping children cope with deployments and reunions.

National Military Family Association produces MyMilitaryLife, a free iPhone and Android app that provides Families with credible information tailored to your needs. 

Army One Source

Post Secondary Support

Our support doesn’t end with elementary education. If you have children preparing for academic life after high school, we can help you find information about testing opportunities, scholarships and military-specific resources that can help you plan.

Military-Specific and Government Academic Support information: G.I. Bill

Transferability of Educational Benefits:

In-State Tuition Programs for Military: Service members on active duty for a period of more than thirty days and their dependents are eligible to receive in-state tuition at many public colleges and universities in the state where they reside or are permanently stationed. An enrolled dependent may pay in-state tuition as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled at the institution, even if the service member is reassigned outside of the state. Regulations outlined in the Higher Education Opportunity Act, 2008 (P.L 110 - 135) and the Higher Education Act of 1965

College and Career Readiness: College and career readiness includes the content knowledge, skills and habits that students must have to be successful in post-secondary education. It also includes training that leads to a sustaining career. A student who is ready for college and career can qualify for and succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing college courses without needing remedial or developmental coursework.

Let us help you plan for your child’s college and career readiness:

College and Career Readiness

College and Career Readiness and Success 

Counselor Connection 

Army One Source Military Scholarship Handbook

Military Children Scholarships. The SSS program helps students and families by providing post-secondary and scholarship information

Frequently Asked Questions

What are Common Core State Standards and Assessments?

The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) focus on developing the critical-thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that students need for entry-level careers, freshman college courses and workforce training programs. The standards detail what K-12 students should know at the end of each grade. Most states and the Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) have adopted the standards in English Language Arts and mathematics. There are two assessments being developed to measure student success (Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers and Smarter Balanced). The decision of which assessment to use is determined by individual state education agencies.  


What is a Unique Military Child Identifier? Numerous states have enacted a voluntary report-only self-identification of military children within their public school systems. This data collection would allow monitoring of critical elements such as academic progress and proficiency, special and advanced program participation, mobility and dropout rates. Requirements and methods of collection vary from state to state.


What are Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) Schools?  DoDEA is a civilian agency of the Department of Defense that manages schools for military children (pre-kindergarten through K12) on a limited number of installations in the United States and worldwide. DoDEA operates the Domestic Dependent Elementary and Secondary Education Schools (DDESS) within the U.S. and the Department of Defense Dependents Schools (DoDDS) overseas. While DoDEA schools do not fall under federal education programs like No Child Left Behind (the Elementary and Secondary Education Act - ESEA) there is a formal agreement between the Department of Education and the Department of Defense that provides for cooperative arrangements. DoDEA schools use the Common Core State Standards and follow the accountability guidelines mandated for all public schools receiving ESEA funds.

Bus Transportation


  • Students in grades K-5 must reside 1 mile or more from the school within their home attendance area to qualify for regular school bus service.
  • Students in grades 6-12 must reside 1.5 miles or more from the school within their home attendance area for regular school bus service.

Students who do not attend the school within their home school attendance area, reside within the minimum qualifying distances as listed above or desire other than home-school-home transportation may receive “space available” bus service provided that there are unused seats on the bus and that accommodation will not result in additional cost to the state.

Parents who desire space available bus service must submit a request for Student to Ride School Bus on a Space Available Basis (Form CS-101, available at the school office) along with their completed bus pass application form (Form ST-70, located on page A1 of this booklet). Submit both forms to the school office. CAUTION: Approval/disapproval may take up to four or more weeks. Note. Your child will not be permitted to ride the bus until your application is approved. Parents must make contingency plans during the interim.


All bus riders (except those who are eligible and approved for free bus service) must pay the prevailing transportation fee.

We offer three payment-plan options:

  • Annual Payment Plan - one time discounted payment of $270 roundtrip or $135 one-way
  • Quarterly Payment Plan - up to 4 discounted easy payments of $72 roundtrip or $36 one-way
  • One-Way Bus Coupons - sold in sheets of ten coupons for $12.50 per sheet (cash only)

Students who intend to use the public school bus system as their primary means of getting to and/or from school daily throughout the entire school year are encouraged to select the annual payment plan.

Students who intend to use the public school bus system as their primary means of getting to and/or from school daily but whose transportation needs might change from academic quarter to academic quarter are encouraged to select the quarterly payment plan.

Students who intend to use the public school bus system only occasionally, and students who require passage on a bus route other than their assigned bus route are encouraged to purchase one-way bus coupons to mitigate the financial burden.

Important: Select your payment plan carefully. You will be allowed to change your plan if and when needed. You will not receive a refund of the unused portion of the bus pass under the Department of Education's "No Refund" policy.

Military Interstate Compact

Military Interstate Compact